When our new house was landscaped, one of the main features was a large foundation bed, containing a row of hollies, some African Lily, some Indian Hawthorne and some Dwarf Yaupon.
Since we moved in, I've noticed two things -- the row of holly closest to the house just isn't doing well at all and the bed is too wide to work in without trampling all over it.
I was in bed sick this weekend, but last weekend I was able to take advantage of some nice weather and get outside to work in that foundation bed.
It didn't cost much either. A trip to Lowe's with a vague idea of what I wanted netted me some decently priced paving stones, and since I wasn't really building a path but some literal "stepping stones" to stand on while I weeded and mulched etc, I didn't have to buy many of them.
A short hour or so, leveling and laying, and I was done...
And while I was out there in the middle of the bed, I noticed that some of the daylilies are putting out new growth.
And that's not all - I spent a few minutes trimming back the garden mums and discovered a crown of healthy green growth underneath last year's dead stalks.
Now I just have to figure out what to do about the holly up against the house. I'm debating whether to amend the soil around the existing, sickly, plants, or to rip the whole lot out, dig bigger holes and amend the soil in them before planting new, healthy, plants.
I suppose it depends how much energy I have once I get over my cold.
Words and photographs by Jayne Wilson, Green and Serene, Jayne's Country Garden.