Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Color Purple and Other Garden Pleasures

This week we've been blessed with perfect weather, bright moonlit nights and sunny days without the oppressive humidity we get in summer. Each day I've been eager to get home so I can wander round the garden and just enjoy it.

Sure, there are some areas that make me frown -- one bed that seems to spell d-e-a-t-h to whatever I plant in it, and areas of St. Augustine that are seriously compromised and may end up having to be resodded -- but there are other areas that make me smile.


For example, those little pansies I put out in the front garden before Christmas are still blooming

This is Matrix Purple with Red Wing just behind it to the right.
This one is Matrix Morpheus - I love this delicate color.

Unfortunately, the one below was also labeled Matrix Purple, although it's obviously a different variety, and quite lovely, I have no idea what it is. 

Among the other garden pleasures:
The Vitex tree is bursting back to life and covered with bright green leaves, as is the Rose of Sharon. (below)

On the patio are a variety of pass-alongs from a new friend I met through my garden blogging - thanks Ursula!   These will either get transplanted into the ground, if I have a suitable place ready for them, or re-potted into a more permanent home this weekend, since I have a long weekend off from my day job.



And finally, in addition to starting some seeds and transplanting or repotting some plants this weekend, I see an inviting corner of dappled sunlight with a comfy chair in my future!

 It doesn't get much better than that!
Words and photographs by Jayne Wilson, Green and Serene, Jayne's Country Garden.

6 comments:

Sylvana said...

Thanks for the tour. Now it's time to sit and relax with some ice tea :)

Jayne said...

That sounds like a Plan, Sylvana. Guess what I'll be doing this weekend?

BernieH said...

It's great to hear you're getting such lovely weather ... and the chair sure looks inviting out in the sunshine! I'm still waiting for the rain to end ... and then maybe more than just an hour or two of sunshine will follow. Your pansies are terrific ... such great colours.

Rock rose said...

Those pansies have such clear vibrant colors. This is their best time before the heat begins. Yes, that does look like a good place to sit and read. Hope you enjoy your long weekend off.

Kathleen Scott said...

Great pansy pictures!

You have Rose of Sharon, I'm jealous. Such lovely blooms.

Jayne, you've alluded before to seven cats but I didn't believe it. HOW do you manage with only two laps? I've put out cat hair before for nest-building without getting takers and think the secret is putting it where they expect it. In our yard, that's the crotch of a flowering senna close to the bird feeders & bath. The birds already use the trees and hunt nesting material in the native clumping grasses in that area.

Jayne said...

Kathleen, I promise I'll do a post with some photos of me and the kitties. It's not always easy, but it can be done. Right now, for example, there's a cat on my desk, one on my printer stand and two more on the ledge behind the monitor. One is watching Spike TV with my husband, lol.