Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Old Grill Finds a New Life -- as a Planter!

 Last fall, as my husband cooked steaks on our grill, we realized that flame was coming out from underneath the grill - definitely not a good thing - and that it was time to retire that grill and get a new one.  

Once the new grill was on the patio and in use, we discussed what we could do with the old grill.  Among the suggestions was to take the guts out of it and somehow turn it into a planter.

Over the past couple of weeks, that's exactly what we did.


The gas tank had already been removed and traded in for a new one for the new grill, so Eric got right to work removing the old burner and everything else.  He told me that parts were rusted right through and we were lucky we didn't have an accident!


Once the innards were out, Eric cleaned up the grill and giving the interior a good coating of Rustoleum to protect against rust.

On the exterior, he used a spray paint which gives a stone effect. I really like it :-)





The new "planter" comes with built-in drainage holes, but of course, those had to be covered up somehow to keep the soil in.




I started by simply adding some shards of broken pottery over the holes.




And then added some coco matting in the bottom.




All that was left after that was to add soil and start planting!




I kept the plantings simple in shades of pink, with some vinca and petunias, as well as a dahlia. I added a couple of spiky dracena for texture.



The new planter is set on the side of the patio, next to the table and chairs. it's easily accessible, which is good. I have a feeling I'm going to have to monitor it carefully and make sure it doesn't dry out.  It's not very deep, especially the bottom tier, which is made from the lid of the original grill.


Still, I think it makes an attractive addition, and it's better than just tossing it out.

Words and photographs by Jayne Wilson, Green and Serene, Jayne's Country Garden.

2 comments:

Ami said...

Jayne: What a creative idea! Your husband did a good job to convert it to an attractive planter. I love it! For the lover part, since it is shallow, maybe you can grow some succulent type of plants?

Jayne said...

Great idea Ami! I'll look around and see what I can find this weekend.