Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Milkweed Fairies are Ready to Fly

 When I was a child, I used to love catching "fairies" as they drifted through the air and then setting them free, with a breath of air and my best wishes for a good flight.  

Back then, of course, the "fairies" were dandelion seeds, with their fluffy white parachutes. 


I mentioned a week or so ago that the milkweed in my border were loaded down with seedpods. 

I've been watching them, knowing that any day now they would start opening up and the fluffy little "fairies" would catch the breeze and  distribute the seeds.


I caught some today, as I noticed some of the seed pods were open.  I put them in a paper bag and shook them gently and when I opened the bag, the "fairies" drifted out and away on the breeze, happy to leave their burden of seeds for me to look after till planting time.


I'll probably be collecting seeds for several days, judging from the amount of seed pods!  If anyone would like any, please let me know.


Words and photographs by Jayne Wilson, Green and Serene, Jayne's Country Garden.

3 comments:

Rock rose said...

A fairy once landed in my vegetable garden. It bloom and then the milkweed aphid came. I did enjoy the flowers for a few weeks.

Jayne said...

I found the answer to the milkweed aphids this year. A gentle stream of water from the hose, carefully applied to the blooms, will wash those nasties away. I only had to do that twice this summer, and I didn't have to worry that I was poisoning the good bugs, and caterpillars.

Dorothy/Gardening with Nature said...

My milkweed is just a bit behind yours, but I noticed this morning, as I was chasing a Monarch butterfly around trying to get a good picture (No luck!), some of the plants now have pods forming. Most still have lots of blooms so there should be plenty of "fairies" later.