Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Squirrels in the Rain

I got woken up by a pretty spectacular thunderstorm Saturday morning.  Not that I'm complaining, we certainly will take all the rain we can get! 

I was surprised to notice, while I was having breakfast, that there was a squirrel out on the feeder, getting soaked, but enjoying the goodies in the feeder, which I just filled up the day before.


He was still out there an hour or so later, when the rain had let up a bit and the sky was a bit brighter, so I was able to get some photos. If you click on the photo to see the full size, I think you can see the rain drops.


Suddenly I realized there wasn't just one squirrel out there.  Another one was on the ground under the feeder, picking up seeds and nuts that had dropped.  As I appeared at the door with my camera, this second one scooted across the lawn and up the pine tree.


It wasn't until I downloaded the photos that I realized the squirrel appeared to be saying grace!

I'm keeping the feeder full, I hope they stay around.
 


Words and photographs by Jayne Wilson, Green and Serene, Jayne's Country Garden.

7 comments:

Steph@RamblingWren said...

How cute. We had a huge down pour Friday night. It was great just to sit and watch the lightning out the window.

Jayne said...

Hi Rambing Wren. That was some spectacular lightning, wasn't it? Nothing quite like a Texas light show.

Dorothy/Gardening with Nature said...

Nice squirrel pictures. I see that you have gray squirrels. I have fox squirrels in my yard. It's interesting how they carve up the territory. I don't think the two species share very well.

Jayne said...

We had fox squirrels up until last year. Then we didn't see many squirrels at all, with the houses being built either side of us and the loss of habitat. This year so far, all we've seen have been a couple greys, including these two. I welcome all of them, no matter what color they are:-)

Carol said...

I like them too Jayne, they are very funny. I bought one of those holders for corn cobs, but they didn't like it too much so i just rubbed all the kernels off the dried cobs and spread it on the ground. They really liked that. Carol

Rosie@leavesnbloom said...

Grey squirels are vermin here but I find them quite cute and comical aswell........ as long as they don't get in through a window! Two together can sometimes get quite noisy!

Jayne said...

Many consider them pests here too, Rosie, but I love them :-)