Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Spring is Just Around the Corner

 The garden is beginning to show it's appreciation of the rains we received this week.  Lots of little green sprouts all over, including the milkweed, the lantana and some bluebonnets in the front garden.


Also in the front garden, I've been closely watching the milkweed as I've seen Monarchs out there and there haven't been any blooms for them. Well one of the plants is now blooming and looking around I see more flower buds forming.  I would say the Monarch Waystation is open for business!


There's not too much else blooming just yet, but this Cool Wave White Viola, that I got right before Christmas, is blooming nicely...


...as is the Babylon White Verbena which I have growing in the half-barrel planter.

We've had some chilly nights and mornings, even down here in Texas, as this photo of our outdoor thermometer proves.


I heard we're expecting some more freezing nights this week so I hope that none of the newly sprouted plants get damaged. 

I will, I think, cover up the pot of Cypress Vine seedlings I have against the back fence.  Everything else will have to fend for itself as usual.

And finally - a mystery bird. I took this photo last weekend and I have looked in my bird ID books, as well as Whatbird.com, and have been unable to identify it.  Can anyone help me out? As always, you can click on the photo to see a larger version.

  



Words and photographs by Jayne Wilson, Green and Serene, Jayne's Country Garden.

5 comments:

Dorothy Borders said...

Can't see the bird's field marks very well and I can't judge its size, but possibilities include a sparrow of some kind or possibly a female Red-winged Blackbird.

I noticed my milkweed plants have new sprouts, too. Won't be long now!

Jayne said...

I went through all the sparrows but wasn't able to find anything with the rosy face that this one has, as well as the eye bar. I didn't think of the red-winged blackbird and when I checked just now, it does look similar but I think the blackbirds are bigger than this bird was (it was definitely sparrow sized) And again, the rosy face sets it apart.

Diana said...

Spring is so close I can almost taste it! I'm more than ready.

Jan said...

Hi Jayne, hope you aren't getting the snow that some of TX is! Your garden is way ahead of us, here in VA! I wonder if your bird (if it isn't a sparrow or blackbird of some sort) could be a Pine Sisken? Did you happen to notice any yellow on the wings when they were open?

boulder walls Gold Coast said...

Beautiful blooms! Nice share!!