Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 8, 2015

Dirt Makes me Happy!



 Image by amoceptum

I came across a post on Facebook the other day which linked to an article explaining how microbes in the soil have been found to have a similar effect on the brain as antidepressants like Prozac, but without the side effects and chemical dependency potential.

You can read the article here:
http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/soil-fertilizers/antidepressant-microbes-soil.htm

Yesterday I decided to test out the theory and headed out to the garden, to get up close and personal with the soil in our island beds.

OK - actually I was getting up close and personal with weeds and encroaching Bermuda grass, but it was very therapeutic and it really did put a smile on my face. I spent a pleasant afternoon pottering around, getting my hands dirty, listening to the birds all around, and smiling.

The weather yesterday was perfect for gardening -- the temperature was brisk but it was sunny and the humidity was very low. 
 I was working on the newest of our two island beds and didn't get finished yesterday.  The plan was to finish up today but it started storming during the night and has been raining steadily all day.  The garden is completely sodden, even flooded in one area (that's that drainage issue I mentioned before)

The island bed will have to wait until next weekend, but in the meantime, at least it does look like I accomplished something.

 


Words and photographs by Jayne Wilson, Green and Serene, Jayne's Country Garden.

5 comments:

Dorothy Borders said...

Dirty hands make happy hearts. It's a well-known axiom!

Anna said...

Thanks for the link to the article! I just knew there was something about dirt...

Carol said...

I like to be in the dirt also. I understand the feeling! Happy spring!

Pam's English Garden said...

I read this article a few weeks ago, Jayne. We gardeners always knew it, didn't we? How lovely that you have been digging in the dirt already. If only our snow would go! Happy soon-to-be spring! P. x

Diana said...

Your bed looks great! I have done a tiny bit of work on my cutting garden bed, but that’s about it. I have made a list of plants to get from the nursery and will have them ordering it in asap. Spring break week next week will give me a few days to work on planting when we are back in town mid-week.