Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - March 2017

It's the 15th of the month, and to garden bloggers, that means one thing -- it's time to put together a post celebrating Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, hosted by Carol of May Dreams Gardens.

I usually forget about it until it's too late.  I think I can count on my toes how many times I have posted a "GBBD" post!

But I'm pleasantly surprised that the garden is perking up, in spite of being largely ignored last year while I was recuperating from my surgeries and the few hard freezes we had over the winter.

I already showed you some of the signs of spring in the garden, now it's time to show you some blooms :-)



Our freezes didn't faze these dianthus one little bit.  They stayed lovely and green all winter and now are covered in blooms.  I've got several in various colors (although I don't actually remember planting them all!)


With it's delicate foliage, you would have thought that the Achillea would have succumbed to the freezes too, but they stayed a beautiful bright, feathery green all winter and are now starting to put out blooms.


it's sharing that section of the border, under the Vitex tree, with the purple Homestead verbena.


More dianthus in the island bed, along with either the Pineapple sage or Salvia Greggi.  I planted them together in the same area and neglected to make a good note of which was which.  So I'm not sure which is blooming here.  There's also a lot of Cosmos coming up so this area will be lovely and colorful soon.


Here's a closer look.


And finally, the Star Jasmine is absolutely covered in blooms.  Unfortunately, it's short on scent. We have always called it our "Scent-less Star Jasmine".  There are actually two of them planted side by side and one has no scent at all, which the other has a mild aroma.  I did catch a whiff of it a couple of times when I was out taking photos in the rain on Saturday but I certainly wouldn't call it highly aromatic, which is a bit of a disappointment.  But I like it anyway, the blossoms are lovely and the birds appreciate the shelter afforded by the thick vines and trellis.

So that's about all I have to show for this Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day.  I hope we have nicer weather this weekend than we did last weekend.  I need to do some more weeding and add compost and mulch to the island beds and back border before the temps start heating up too much.

Seem more Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day posts, hosted by Carol of May Dreams Gardens.

Words and photographs by Jayne Wilson, Green and Serene, Jayne's Country Garden.

6 comments:

Dorothy Borders said...

Lovely blooms and I do like that "trowel and error" sign!

Lea said...

I love Homestead Verbena!
I don't know why it will not grow for me
Have a great day!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Lovely blooms. Your area is way ahead of my zone 6 despite the freezes you have had. Happy GBBD.

Jayne said...

Thank you Dorothy. I ordered the sign online, but unfortunately I forget which website!

Jayne said...

Hi Lea, Sorry to hear you have trouble getting Homestead Verbena to grow. I'm not sure where you are located but it certainly seems to like our climate here on the Gulf Coast. And when it starts looking ratty, I just clip it back and it starts all over again.

Rock rose said...

One year I had the most gorgeous spread of Homestead verbena. Since then I can't get it to grow. Every year is a different year. Bit you have lots of other lovely blooms to take its place.