Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Late May Daylilies

I had all sorts of plans to do some work in the garden this weekend, but unfortunately, my back is still complaining loudly after I slipped and fell on the tile floor a week ago.  So my weekend o' weeding turned more in to a weekend of wishing.  Wishing that I could get out there and pull weeds and wishing that I could plant some more zinnias as very few of them reseeded themselves this year.

I did get out with my camera and take some photos of the nameless daylilies that are blooming now.

I've got a couple of this lovely deep red one with yellow throats.



This little yellow one I'm pretty sure is a Stella d'Oro - it's quite small compared to the others, only about 8 inches tall and hasn't spread as as wide as the others (which need digging up and dividing)


This lovely peach colored one is the biggest, having a spread of about three feet.  It badly needs to be divided if I can ever get up the energy to do that much digging!


Here's another deep red one with a yellow throat, but the petals are a different shape to the one above, so it's not the same variety.


At one time, long ago, I had the names noted down as to what was growing where, but unfortunately over the years, that information has gone missing.  So these will always be nameless for me.

I still like them, whether or not they have a name :-)

Words and photographs by Jayne Wilson, Green and Serene, Jayne's Country Garden.

5 comments:

A Brit in Tennessee said...

I love your Daylilies, I have the yellow Stella De Ora also.
I love seeing them come into bloom, after sitting dormant all winter long.
What a beautiful garden you have Jayne !
~Jo

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jayne, your daylilies are all beautiful. Ours have not bloomed yet. I love the zinnias too, I would like to plant some in a pot for my deck. Lovely photos! Happy Monday, enjoy your new week ahead!

Rock rose said...

Sorry to hear your back is still bothering you but sometimes it's just nice to walk around and admire.

Pam's English Garden said...

I'm so sorry about your back, Jayne. I'm glad you managed to take some beautiful pictures. My daylilies wont bloom for a few weeks yet, so your photos give me something to look forward to. Heal soon! P. x

Diana said...

I feel your pain, having been taken down by my over-excited dog on a walk 5 weeks ago and am now in a walking boot for 3 weeks after spraining my ankle. Your lilies are lovely - I especially like that peach color - it’s so delicate. Take my advice — since I haven’t been using it! REST your back. Hope you feel better soon.