Total Pageviews

Monday, August 30, 2010

Canna Revival

A few weeks ago, my new Tropicannas were looking a bit sunburned...   someone mentioned that they enjoy moist soil, so I've tried to be diligent about watering them.

Tt seems to have worked. While the existing leaves still have some brown edges, both containers are showing new growth.


Unfortunately, they got some damage this week (after these pics were taken) from a raccoon that went blundering through, but hopefully they can rebound.


I think this is probably the same raccoon(s) that flattened the grapevine and broke some significant branches of my hamelia.  I'll be happy when he moves on to new territory.

I'm looking forward to the cooler weather now so I can begin digging some new beds and also working in the ones we have already.

But in the meantime, I'll enjoy what flowers I have left...


...and then sit on the patio and enjoy birds in the pine trees.


Have a great week.

Words and photographs by Jayne Wilson, Green and Serene, Jayne's Country Garden.

7 comments:

Ami said...

I love the foliage of your canna. Very attractives. Hope the raccoon can leave it alone so that it can grow bigger to bloom. But the foliage itself is pretty enough to me!

Lemon Lane Studio said...

My sister lives in Cypress,so I know the sweltering heat you're feeling. But all that humidity produces the loveliest pines. I hope your raccoon finds someone new to pester. Have a good week friend, Patty

Maia T said...

Your cannas will recover next year, you have to move them indoors for winter anyway.
You still have some beautiful flower in the garden, untouched by the raccoon.

Pam's English Garden said...

Hi, Jayne, I just returned from England where it was downright cold (not to mention wet), so I dare not complain about the heat in PA. Love those cannas. Pam

Jeff Branch said...

I'm going to have to get me a Canna lily next year. My sister usually has some and they are really striking. Good luck with your racoons.

Jayne said...

We discovered that although we have raccoons around the garden, they aren't the ones who damaged the cannas and the Flame Acanthus (see my Mystery Solved post to find out who did it). On another note, my husband saw FOUR raccoons at one time and when he tried to chase them off, they didn't budge. We went after them with the hose to discourage them :-)

Jayne said...

Hi Pam -- when I go home to England to visit my parents, I always appreciate the warm temperature when I get back to Texas.