Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Winds of Change - Progress Report

It didn't take long for the lot to the east of our house to be cleared. Strangely enough, I'm okay with it.


While in Hobby Lobby at the weekend, I picked up a free handout with instructions for some craft projects that use twigs and branches -- a lattice, some picture frames, a "Garden" sign and a couple of other things.  In addition, I found a plan for a rustic gazebo-style bird feeder that I thought would be a nice addition to the garden and my husband volunteered to make for me.


So before they started clearing, we got in there and lopped some saplings and some branches and stored them in our side yard until we get going on the craft projects.


Even though the lot is now cleared (see below) it's like the spirit of the trees will live on as we work on our craft projects and use the objects we make. (Yes, you can call me a tree-hugger)



 So today, they started clearing the lot on the other side.


I always liked the way the trees in this lot provided a backdrop for photos of our garden, such as this photo of a volunteer sunflower I took last weekend.

But I had to laugh as my husband told me how the Sweet Gum was fighting them every step of the way.

Apparently the plan was to dig around the roots and then push it over.

Well, that didn't work.

So they ended up using a chain saw to take the tree down, with my husband nervously watching and hoping it didn't land on our house.

And by the time I got home, they were taking a break, but there was plenty of evidence of the battle that had been raging all day.


It's now 9:30 pm, pitch black out there and they are still trying to heave it out of the ground!  I suspect that by this time, they are considering a small thermo-nuclear device.
  

Words and photographs by Jayne Wilson, Green and Serene, Jayne's Country Garden.

4 comments:

Maia said...

Are you already working on the new bird feeder?
Looking forward to see the pictures.

Jayne said...

I'll post pictures when we get started on it Maia.

Nell Jean said...

Fun, working with twigs and sticks. I call it 'Improvisational Carpentry.' I learned the hard way about termites and wood that touches the ground, so now I use cedar limbs for my wattle structures or weave them on rebar. I look forward to seeing your work.

Corner Gardener Sue said...

I'm glad you got some branches to make some things with. That's a great way to honor the trees. It sure does look different with the trees down. It's too bad they all had to come down like that.