Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Down Memory Lane: Newlands Corner

Back at the beginning of April I discovered a new feature on my camera, which allows me to take three consecutive photos and then "stitches" them together into one wide panoramic view.

I mentioned in my blog at that time that I was looking forward to capturing some sweeping landscape scenes on our trip to visit my family in England.

One of the places we wanted to go was Newlands Corner, a beauty spot on the North Downs Way in the Surrey Hills.  I've always thought of it as the most beautiful place in the world.

If you click on the photos, you can see a larger version.  I think I got the sweeping views I was hoping for!
 


Newlands Corner is privately owned by the Albury Estate and Surrey Wildlife Trust manages the area under an access agreement between the Albury Estate and Surrey County Council.  There's a visitor center, run by the Surrey Wildlife Trust, a snack bar and picnic tables at the top of the hill. 





The area comprises 255 acres of chalk downland and mixed woodlands of oak, birch and evergreen yew.  Some of the yews are apparently hundreds of years old.  The grassland is maintained by grazing animals and by mowing once a year after the wildflowers have set seed.  This helps prevent scrubby plants from taking over.


The views are just spectacular as you look from the chalk ridge of the North Downs at 500 ft, across the Weald to the ridge of the South Downs.  


 I could sit and look at this view for hours!




In the valley below is the picturesque village of Albury.



I hope you've enjoyed this brief trip to the Surrey Hills.  I certainly enjoyed seeing it again.

 

Words and photographs by Jayne Wilson, Green and Serene, Jayne's Country Garden.

No comments: