Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Buffet for the Birds

I had to work last weekend, uploading some content to a website I help produce, and as I was sitting a my desk, the birds outside kept me entertained with their antics.

I couldn't resist grabbing the camera and taking some photos out the window.  Not the best quality ( I really need to follow the Backyard Bird Photography Tips I found at Robin's Nesting Place) but I wanted to share them anyway.

blog post photo

This red-bellied woodpecker got me out of bed this morning!  I woke up when I heard him outside and realized there were probably a lot of cold and hungry birds out there.

blog post photo

This Northern Cardinal was quite happy to share breakfast with the Chipping Sparrows.


blog post photo

I didn't count as many Chipping Sparrows today as I did yesterday, but there were still plenty of them.


blog post photo

This Mourning Dove was grateful that I had melted the solid block of ice that had been in the birdbath.

blog post photo

Every now and then, among all the Chipping Sparrows, I caught sight of other birds -- Carolina Chickadees, that I can never get a photo of, House Wrens, etc.  I thought this little guy, that I hadn't seen before, might be a goldfinch in winter plumage, but my fellow garden bloggers on HoustonGrows told me it's a Pine Warbler.

No comments: